Thursday, June 3, 2010

WOW---WATER!

I just discovered a "hydration calculator" where you can calculate how much water you should consume. I've heard all different numbers...8-10 cups a day being the most common. However, what if I exercise, I breastfeed, it's a hot day, etc? I used the calculator to figure out how many glasses I should be gulping and here is what I found:

A person who is 145 pounds
and is exercising for 30 minutes ,
is not pregnant,
is breastfeeding,
does not live at a high altitude,
lives in a dry climate,
drinks 0 alcoholic drink(s),
when the weather is very hot or very cold,
and is not sick with fever or diarrhea should have:

123.5 ounces of water today, or 3.7 liters.

If you eat a healthy diet, about 20 percent of your water may come from the foods you eat. If you eat a healthy diet you can drink 98.8 ounces of water today, or 3 liters.

GASP!!! I should be drinking nearly 100 ounces of water daily! Of course, this is calculated for the hot, dry summer weather we have. No wonder I always seem thirsty! I will definitely make an effort to gradually add a glass of water or two to my daily intake until I get to 98 ounces. Sadly, there are some days that I don't even drink 50 ounces.

To find out how much water you should be consuming, CLICK HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment